Trump lashes out against Corker and Flake, touts GOP ‘love fest’ lunch –Gabby Kaufman Reporter •President Trump mocked Sens. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., and Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., Wednesday morning for acting “so hurt & wounded,” after both delivered striking criticism of Trump a day earlier.Both GOP lawmakers, who are not running for reelection next year, repeatedly criticized Trump across cable news shows Tuesday and Wednesday morning. In response, Trump claimed that the senators opted to retire because both had “zero chance” of returning to the Senate for another term.The president also attempted to minimize evidence of a split within his party by insisting a Tuesday lunch with Republican senators “outside of Flake & Corker, was a love fest with standing ovations and great ideas for USA!” FollowDonald J. Trump @realDonaldTrumpThe reason Flake and Corker dropped out of the Senate race is very simple, they had zero chance of being elected. Now act so hurt & wounded! FollowDonald J. Trump @realDonaldTrumpThe meeting with Republican Senators yesterday, outside of Flake and Corker, was a love fest with standing ovations and great ideas for USA! Related SearchesSenator Jeff Flake Speaks Out Against TrumpTrump And CorkerFlake TrumpJeff Flake TrumpTrump was locked in an increasingly personal back-and-forth with Corker for much of Tuesday morning after Corker said during a TV interview that the White House should let Congress take the lead on tax reform.The president fired back by saying Corker, who has twice been elected to the U.S. Senate, “couldn’t get elected dog catcher in Tennessee.” Corker announced last month that he would not seek reelection in 2018, but unlike the embattled Flake, it was not clear whether the Tennessee Republican would have faced a serious primary challenge.Corker then predicted of Trump: “The debasement of our nation will be what he’ll be remembered most for, and that’s regretful.”Sen. Jeff Flake; President Trump; Sen. Bob Corker. (Photo illustration: Yahoo News; photos: Manuel Balce Ceneta/AP, Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images, Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call/Getty Images)Later Tuesday, after the lunch “love fest,” Flake suddenly announced that he would not seek reelection in 2018. In a dramatic speech on the Senate floor, Flake called on his colleagues to end “our complicity and our accommodation of the unacceptable.”Flake reiterated that criticism of Trump in a Washington Post op-ed titled “Enough,” as well as across five different cable news shows Wednesday morning.“We’ve gotten nine months into the administration,” Flake said on “Good Morning America.” “Those of us who had hoped for a pivot, I think, agree now it’s just not going to come and so it’s up to us to stand up and say this is not acceptable.”
Women are sending President Trump their birth control bills Jennifer Gerson Uffalussy,Yahoo Beauty 14 hours ago 1:267:271:512:071:232:08Women are sending President Trump their birth control bills Many women are none too thrilled about the Trump administration’s new rules that roll back the contraceptive mandate of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) — the part of Barack Obama’s health care bill that guaranteed insurance plans would cover all forms of prescription birth control with a zero-dollar co-pay for women — and, starting today, they are sending their bills straight to President Trump. Donald Trump on Oct. 23, 2017, in Washington, D.C. (Photo: Getty Images)Keep Birth Control Copay Free campaign created a digital invoice generator for women to send the White House a bill for what birth control would cost should their employers move to end their no-cost contraception coverage.One simply enters their FDA-approved form of prescription contraception, and the campaign’s online tool calculates the average annual cost — $600 for oral contraceptives, $800 for an implant, and $1,111 for an IUD. And then the invoice generator immediately sends the bill to Trump and the Department of Health and Human Services.Women at a birth control protest in Washington, D.C. (Photo: Getty Images) Each invoice generated through the campaign’s tool will also be submitted to the Federal Register as an official comment opposing the new birth control rules. The comment period on the new rules will end on Dec. 5, 2017.Kristen Bell, Gloria Steinem, Kate Walsh, Martha Plimpton, Sasheer Zamata, Ana Gasteyer, Margaret Cho, Franchesca Ramsey, and Cecily Strong are just some of the boldface names of women who have come out to endorse the campaign — and would really love for you to send an invoice to President Trump.The cost of birth control pills is $600 per year. This is an example of the invoice the Keep Birth Control Copay Free campaign will send to President Trump. (Photo: Keep Birth Control Copay Free)The ACA, known colloquially as Obamacare, made no-cost contraception accessible to 62.4 million American women, saving these women an estimated $1.4 billion annually.“Women are tired of footing the bill for male politicians’ attacks on essential reproductive health care,” said Amy Runyon-Harms, the Keep Birth Control Copay Free campaign coordinator. “Together, we are pushing back against President Trump’s dangerous political decision to reduce access to birth control, and today we are sending him the bill.” Polling released in March 2017 by nonpartisan research firm PerryUndem found that 75 percent of all voters consider birth control to be a part of preventive health care for women, with 85 percent of women voters in agreement with that.Furthermore, 33 percent of women of reproductive age polled said they could not afford to pay more than $10 a month for birth control. Fourteen percent said they could not afford it at any price should they have to pay for it out of pocket today.And 68 percent of voters said that Congress and President Trump’s top health care priority should be lowering people’s out-of-pocket costs — in other words, the exact opposite of what these new birth control rules stand to do.Majority of female small business owners say birth control key to professional success Polling released this month by the Small Business Majority found that 71 percent of female small-business owners say health insurance issuers should be required to include birth control coverage in their health plans, with this majority opinion extending across all political, racial, religious, and age lines. And 56 percent of these women business owners said that the ability to access birth control and to decide if and when to have children allowed them to advance in their careers and start their own businesses.However, Heritage Foundation research associate Melanie Israel told Yahoo Lifestyle this month that the Obamacare mandate was “onerous,” and a ”burden on employers, individuals, and religious organizations who, because of their beliefs concerning the protection of unborn human life, are faced with the decision to violate sincerely held religious or moral beliefs, pay steep fines, or forgo offering or obtaining health insurance entirely.”
Politics Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ Attack On The Washington Post Will Make Your Head Spin
Ed Mazza,HuffPost Wed, Oct 25 5:54 AM GMT+3 White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders did a complete reversal Tuesday, first dismissing The Washington Post as a source and then relying on it in her defense of President Donald Trump.White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders did a complete reversal Tuesday, first dismissing The Washington Post as a source and then relying on it in her defense of President Donald Trump. And it all unfolded over the space of about four hours. “And as I’ve said many times before, I wouldn’t use The Washington Post as my source,” she said at roughly 4 p.m. EDT, after a questioner cited the newspaper. “You should know better than that.”Yet, later on Twitter, she did exactly what she knew better than to do. She used The Washington Post as a source in a tweet about the latest revelations on the Christopher Steele dossier:
U.S. Trump announces program to test drones beyond FAA regulations Mallory Locklear,Engadget 9 hours ago President Trump and Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao announced the Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Pilot Program today — an initiative aimed at exploring expanded use of drones.President Trump and Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao announced the Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Pilot Program today — an initiative aimed at exploring expanded use of drones. While the Obama administration began allowing some drone activity to take place in US airspace, a fair amount of restrictions were still applicable. This new program, however will allow companies and local governments to use drones in ways that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) currently doesn’t allow. That includes „beyond-visual-line-of-sight flights, nighttime operations, and flights over people,” as White House advisor Michael Kratsios said today.”This program supports the President’s commitment to foster technological innovation that will be a catalyst for ideas that have the potential to change our day-to-day lives. Drones are proving to be especially valuable in emergency situations, including assessing damage from natural disasters such as the recent hurricanes and the wildfires in California,” Secretary Chao said in a statement. Kratsios also said that it could „open the skies for delivery of life-saving medicines and commercial packages, inspections of critical infrastructure, support for emergency management operations.”The US is still figuring out how best to manage drone technology. Recently, regulations of local governments were pitted against those of the FAA, with the FAA coming out on top, and the FAA is currently trying to change the system that approves drone flights in restricted airspace. This test program could help national and local regulators figure out the best way to manage drones going forward. It could also help commercial companies itching to start delivering packages by drone. Amazon, 7-Eleven, Google and UPS have all expressed interest in using drones for delivery purposes and some of them have already started to do so. Amazon made its first delivery last year in the UK while 7-Elevenhas made dozens of deliveries in Nevada. France, Canada, Switzerland and Iceland are all working on incorporating permanent drone delivery systems.The Department of Transportation (DOT) said in a statement, „The pilot program will evaluate a variety of operational concepts, including night operations, flights over people, flights beyond the pilot’s line of sight, package delivery, detect-and-avoid technologies, counter-UAS security operations, and the reliability and security of data links between pilot and aircraft.” In order to participate in the program, local governments should partner with private sector groups and develop proposals. The DOT will then select at least five proposals for participation. More information on how to apply and how the program will function will be released in the next few days.
World North Korea diplomat says take atmospheric nuclear test threat ‘literally’
Reuters 4 hours ago People perform for North Korean leader Kim Jong Un during a celebration for nuclear scientists and engineers who contributed to a hydrogen bomb test, in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang on September 10, 2017. KCNA via REUTERSWASHINGTON (Reuters) – The recent warning from North Korea’s foreign minister of a possible atmospheric nuclear test over the Pacific Ocean should be taken literally, a senior North Korean official told CNN in an interview aired on Wednesday.”The foreign minister is very well aware of the intentions of our supreme leader, so I think you should take his words literally,” Ri Yong Pil, a senior diplomat in North Korea’s Foreign Ministry, told CNN.North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho said last month Pyongyang may consider conducting „the most powerful detonation” of a hydrogen bomb over the Pacific Ocean amid rising tensions with the United States.The minister made the comment after President Donald Trump warned that North Korea, which has been working to develop nuclear-tipped missiles capable of hitting the United States, would be totally destroyed if it threatened America.CIA chief Mike Pompeo said last week that North Korea could be only months away from gaining the ability to hit the United States with nuclear weapons.Experts say an atmospheric test would be a way of demonstrating that capability. All of North Korea’s previous nuclear tests have been conducted underground.Trump next week will make a visit to Asia during which he will highlight his campaign to pressure North Korea to give up its nuclear and missile programs.Despite the bellicose rhetoric, White House officials say Trump is looking for a peaceful resolution of the standoff. But all options, including military ones, are on the table.The U.S. Navy said on Wednesday a third aircraft carrier strike group was now sailing in the Asia-Pacific region, joining two other carriers, the Ronald Reagan and Theodore Roosevelt.Navy officials said the Nimitz, which was previously carrying out operations in support of the fight against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, would be ready to support operations in the region before heading back to its home port. It said the movement had been long planned.A leading South Korea opposition figure, Hong Jun-pyo, head of the conservative Liberty Korea Party, told Reuters in Washington on Wednesday he backed Trump’s tough stance.Hong said he had met with members of Congress and the administration and told them a majority of South Koreans wanted U.S. tactical nuclear weapons, which were withdrawn from the Korean peninsula in 1992, returned, or for South Korea to develop a nuclear capability of its own.”The only way to deal with the situation is by having a nuclear balance between the North and the South,” said Hong, the runner-up in South Korea’s 2017 presidential election.Reintroducing nuclear weapons remains unlikely, not least because it would undermine demands from Seoul and Washington for North Korea to abandon its nuclear programs.Trump spoke during his election campaign about the possibility of South Korea and Japan acquiring nuclear weapons, but administration officials have played down the remarks and given no indication of any plan to redeploy tactical weapons.On Wednesday, Trump was asked whether he would visit the tense demilitarized zone dividing North and South Korea during his Asia tour and responded enigmatically.”I’d rather not say, but you’ll be surprised,” he told reporters.(Reporting by David Alexander, David Brunnstrom and Idrees Ali in Washington; Editing by James Dalgleish and Tom Brown)
World US moves third carrier group to western Pacific ahead of Trump’s Asia tour amid North Korea tensions