President Trump cheers Steve Bannon’s return to Breitbart NewsMEGHAN KENEALLY, ALEXANDER MALLIN and JUSTIN FISHELUnfortunately, this video is not available in your region.SS-100-202President Trump is cheering his former chief strategist Steve Bannon’s return to leading the influential conservative media outlet Breitbart News after his forced resignation from the White House.Trump tweeted from his Bedminster, New Jersey, golf club Saturday that Bannon may be „even better than ever before” in his return to Breitbart. FollowDonald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump Steve Bannon will be a tough and smart new voice at @BreitbartNews…maybe even better than ever before. Fake News needs the competition! The White House has not said whether President Trump and Bannon have spoken since Bannon was forced to resign from his post Friday as chief strategist.White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said the departure, effective Friday, was „mutually agreed” upon by Bannon and Chief of Staff John Kelly.”We are grateful for his service and wish him the best,” Sanders said in a statement to ABC News.A source close to Trump told ABC News it was ultimately the president’s decision to dismiss Bannon. The message was delivered this morning from Kelly, who was with the president at his golf resort in Bedminster, New Jersey. Bannon was at the White House when he received the call that it was time for him to leave.Bannon had submitted a letter of resignation to the president earlier this month with an effective date of Monday, Aug. 14, according to sources close to both Bannon and Trump. But amid the fallout from Trump’s controversial response to the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, last weekend and earlier this week, Bannon’s Aug. 14 resignation date came and went as the president considered Bannon’s future, sources said. Meanwhile, several top Trump aides continued to make the case that he needed to go.Prior to joining the Trump administration, Bannon served as executive chairman of Breitbart News. On Friday evening, in the top story on its homepage, Breitbart announced Bannon’s return to the media company to again serve as executive chairman.”‘Populist Hero’ Stephen K. Bannon Returns Home to Breitbart,” reads the headline.Bannon has clashed with virtually every top official in the White House. Atop his list of in-house detractors were senior adviser Jared Kushner, national security adviser Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster and Chief of Staff Kelly.Transcript of Trump’s contentious Aug. 15 press conference;Scaramucci: Bannon’s ‘toleration’ of white nationalism is ‘inexcusable’;Trump says US culture being ‘ripped apart’ by Confederate memorial removals;Ruby Ridge siege, 25 years later, a ‘rallying cry’ for today’s white nationalists;One of McMaster’s first moves was to remove Bannon from his seat at the National Security Council, a move that angered him. And his appointment as the council’s chief political strategist was hugely controversial when it was first announced via executive order at the start of the administration.Over the weekend, McMaster refused to say whether he would continue to work with Bannon.Bannon joined the Trump campaign in August. He would become known as a fearless and critically influential adviser to the president, but has now become the latest high-profile aide to leave the White House. On July 21, press secretary Sean Spicer resigned, followed by Chief of Staff Reince Priebus. White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci was fired a few days later, serving just 11 days in that role.On Tuesday, the president told reporters at Trump Tower that Bannon was a „good man” and “not a racist.””I like Mr. Bannon. He’s a friend of mine. But Mr. Bannon came on very late. You know that. I went through 17 senators, governors, and I won all the primaries. Mr. Bannon came on very much later than that,” Trump said before adding, „but we’ll see what happens with Mr. Bannon.”Trump had grown increasingly frustrated with Bannon in recent weeks, according to one senior White House official, and dissatisfaction from within Trump’s inner circle was compounded Wednesday by his interview in American Prospect magazine, in which he seemed to undercut the president on North Korea.”There’s no military solution here, they got us,” Bannon told the magazine.In an interview with Bloomberg News, Bannon confirmed rumors shared with ABC News by a source close to the former chief strategist that he would continue to work in the president’s interests.”If there’s any confusion out there, let me clear it up: I’m leaving the White House and going to war for Trump against his opponents — on Capitol Hill, in the media, and in corporate America,” Bannon told Bloomberg News.After news of Bannon’s demise first went viral, Breitbart’s editor tweeted an ominous message: „#WAR.”Twitter Mocks Trump for ‘Heel’ Typo in Tweet About Protests
U.S.‘Free speech’ ralliers leave Boston Common BostonGlobe.com 7 hours agoPolice confronted crowds at Boylston and Tremont streets about an hour after the “Boston Free Speech” rally ended and police escorted speakers and participants off the Boston Common. Several dozen Boston Police officers with batons and other crowd-control gear held back a gathering crowd counterprotestors while other officers loaded the “free speech” rally supporters into vans for transport out of the area. As the vans left the area, with helicopters hovering overhead, protesters booed their occupants and shouted “who do you serve?” at police officers while others ran after the vehicles. As those gathered for the rally left their cordoned off area around the Parkman Bandstand, a large crowd surrounded one young man who appeared to be leaving the rally, shouting “Nazis suck” as he walked down a Boston Common path to Charles Street. …By Globe Staff Follow along with live updates from the Boston Common ralliesA “free speech” rally on Boston Common that was met with massive counterprotests Saturday ended with few injuries and 27 arrests, officials said at a late afternoon press conference.A throng of demonstrators that at times was 2 miles long marched from Roxbury to protest the rally, whose lineup included speakers with extremist ties, and which had prompted fears of a repeat of the violence that rocked Charlottesville, Va., earlier this week. Police estimated that 30,000 to 40,000 people ended up in and around the Common.But Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said that “99.9% of the people here were [here] for the right reason, and that’s to fight bigotry and hate.”“For the most part, it went off just as we had planned,” Evans said, explaining that officers kept the opposing crowds separated. “We didn’t want what happened in Virginia to happen here.”Get in your inbox:Forget yesterday’s news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.Still, some in the crowds threw rocks and urine-filled bottles at officers, Evans said. Others tried to block police vans carrying the “free speech” organizers away from the area, forcing officers to deploy crowd-control units armed with batons to push them back. More than 500 officers at Boston rallyAfter violence in Charlottesville, Va., thousands of counterprotesters will denounce racism and anti-Semitism near a “free speech” rally on Boston Common.Police recovered at least one gun from one of the people who were arrested, Evans said. The other arrests were mostly for disorderly conduct and assault and battery on police officers. No one was seriously injured, he said Mayor Martin J. Walsh said he was proud of those who “came out today. . . to share that message of love, not hate, to fight back on racism, to fight back on anti-Semitism, to fight back on the white supremacists that were coming to our city, on the Nazis that were coming to our city.I want to thank everyone that came here and expressed themselves in such a positive, great manner today,” he added.At one point, columns of counterprotesters waving signs and shouting messages of inclusion stretched over about 2 miles from Roxbury to the Common.Despite the fact that there were few arrests, President Trump tweeted that there were “anti-police agitators” at the Boston events. He later added, “I want to applaud the many protesters in Boston who are speaking out against bigotry and hate.”Looks like many anti-police agitators in Boston. Police are looking tough and smart! Thank you.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 19, 2017Evans declined to respond to Trump’s tweets.Many of the confrontations that occurred between counterprotesters and police happened after the “Boston Free Speech” rally ended and police escorted speakers and participants of the rally off the Boston Common.As those gathered for the rally left their cordoned off area around the Parkman Bandstand, a large crowd surrounded one young man who appeared to be leaving the rally, shouting “Nazis suck” as he walked down a Boston Common path to Charles Street. He walked onto Charles Street with a police escort until a police van arrived and he was placed in it.Several dozen Boston Police officers with batons and other crowd-control gear held back a gathering crowd counterprotesters while other officers loaded the “free speech” rally supporters into vans for transport out of the area. Some in the crowd shouted “make them walk!” and challenged police for defending people they called “Nazis,” while the crowd of hundreds chanted “No Trump! No KKK! No fascist USA!” and “off our streets Nazi scum!”As the vans left the area, with helicopters hovering overhead, protesters booed their occupants and shouted “who do you serve?” at police officers while others ran after the vehicles. Officers restrained several people with plastic zip-ties around their wrists, but it was unclear why had been detained.A law enforcement official said the attendees at the “free speech” rally spoke for 50 minutes and were escorted out by police as planned.The “free speech” rally had been scheduled to last two hours and had advertised 14 speakers, including two right-wing extremists.Samson Racioppi, a libertarian candidate for congress who was scheduled to speak, said the event was disorganzied and he never made it to the bandstand where he was to take the stage.“I kept on getting redirected around the Common,” he said, explaining that police told him he’d eventually see the security gate entrance but the large crowds kept him back.Watch: Counterprotesters marched from the Reggie Lewis center towards the “Free Speech” rally on Boston Common. The tense confrontation occurred later at Tremont and West streets, where police said projectiles were thrown at officers. The confrontation ended when police backed down.Organizers of one of the counterprotests said the vast majority of participants were not violent.“When there seemed to be a little bit of a skirmish, the rest of the group was yelling, ‘Do not engage!’” said Angelina Camacho. “The solidarity in keeping it a peaceful event was very clear.”Camacho also praised police for working with her group to prevent widespread confrontations. “We’re going to give credit where credit’s due,” she said. “Everybody’s leaving safely and I have to be thankful for that.”Many within the group who had marched down Tremont Street carried banners and posters decrying racism, sexism, and war, such as “White silence = violence” and “black lives matter.” Others wore T-shirts to show their affiliation — unions and the Chinese progressive association, among others. All joined in loud chants of “Hey hey, ho ho, white supremacy has got to go!” and “the people united will not be defeated!” in both English and Spanish.One small confrontation happened before noon, when a young man wearing a red “Make America Great Again” hat walked through a crowd that met him with loud chants.“Shame!” “Go home!” We don’t want you here” they yelled. “We don’t want any hate here.”The man changed course, but was cornered along a fence. Police rushed to form a barrier around him with their bikes.A short time later, a crowd surrounded another man in a Trump hat and screamed expletives in his face, saying “no one likes you” and chanting “go home!”Imani Williams, a 27-year-old Connecticut woman aligned with the counterprostestors, tried to defend the man as others spit at him, sprayed him with silly string, and blew clouds of vaporizer smoke in his face.“I couldn’t get through a KKK rally with the same treatment,” Williams, who is black, explained a moment later. “But we shouldn’t be like them . . . It’s the right thing to do at the end of the day. We’re all part of the same country. It’s unfortunate what’s happening but the response we should have is to be nonviolent.”After Williams tried to intervene, police arrived and led the man, Sean Cronin, out of the crowd.“I guess people can’t talk,” Cronin said after he had been escorted out of the crowd. “They need to attack. It just turned into a mob pit.”Minutes after speaking to reporters, Cronin was again confronted by counterprotesters who shouted “Nazi!” as he walked out of the Common.Authorities had feared the “free speech” event would attract white supremacists. Two of the rally’s scheduled keynote speakers have ties to extremist elements — including one who attended the rally in Charlottsville, Va., last weekend that turned violent. Seeking to prevent violent confrontations here, police and city officials partitioned the Common with fencing designed to keep the dueling crowds separate. Dozens of police officers in reflective vests were stationed at entrances and throughout the park.But John Medlar of Fitchburg, one of the rally’s organizers, insisted as he arrived at the Common that the event was not a right-wing gathering.“We want to bring together people from across the political spectrum for people to listen to,” Medlar, 23, said. “We want people to come away with good arguments, thinking maybe, ‘hey that’s interesting, I hadn’t considered that before.’ We want to do is show people that we can listen to each other, that we can bring reasonable opinions together without resorting to violence.”Medlar, a self-described libertarian, said the lineup of speakers included progressives, conservatives, anti-war activists, and veterans.However, Medlar said that “media hysteria” has led some white supremacists to mistakenly believe the event was for them. He denounced their ideology and said he hoped anyone with such views would stay away.“Get your own rally,” he said, referring to neo-Nazis and others with similar beliefs. “This is our platform, our message . . . They use the First Amendment as shield for themselves but they won’t stand up and defend the First Amendment for the people that they oppose.”Those who attended the “free speech” rally were vastly outnumbered by the counterprotesters. About 50 people appeared to attend the rally before it ended.But people streamed from MBTA stations and nearby streets to join the counterprotest, while others waited at the Common.Larsen, who was one of those waiting, blamed President Trump for encouraging the far-right, and decried his remarks blaming “both sides” for the violence earlier this week at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.“If Trump came out and condemned the racists and Nazis at that march [in Charlottesville] the way he’s condemned Mexicans, Muslims, and every other marginal group in this country, a lot of us would have said, ‘okay there’s hope,’” Larsen said. “But what he said this week showed us that there’s no hope coming from the top down. It’s up to us.”Nearby, 33-year-old Justin Cohen of Somerville stood beside his bicycle, to which he had affixed an enormous rainbow flag emblazoned with a silver Star of David. Cohen, who is bisexual and Jewish, said he had been circling Boston Common with the handmade flag — the first time he had ever demonstrated publicly.“I wanted it to be bigger than any swastika flag,” Cohen said. “I was excited to make it, because it’s more important than ever, but sad that I had to.”This is a developing story that will be updated throughout the day.
Viral photo of Antifa member ‘beating up police officer in Charlottesville’ is fake Emily Shugerman,The Independent Fri, Aug 18 7:35 AM PDTA widely-shared image that appears to show an anti-fascist protester beating a police officer has been revealed to be fake.The image, which shows a man in an “Antifascist Action” jacket beating a fallen police officer, was shared widely after a white supremacist rally in Virginia turned violent. People shared the photo as evidence that “many sides” were to blame for the violence, as President Donald Trump had suggested.“Today’s @NYTimes front-page portrays the violent Antifa thugs as noble, & willing to ‘defend’ themselves. THAT is #Fakenews. And despicable,” one popular radio host wrote on Twitter, alongside a copy of the photo.The photo, however, is not from last weekend’s rally, but from a demonstration in Athens, Greece in 2009. In the original photo – which is available on Getty Images – there is no anti-fascist logo on the man’s jacket.The description for the photo reads, in part: “Greek youths clash with riot police during a demonstration commemorating the fatal shooting of 15-year-old Alexandros Grigoropoulos’ by police a year ago.”Accusations against the anti-fascist movement (or “antifa,”) and the so-called “alt-left” flew after the Charlottesville rally, where dozens of people were injured and one died in clashes between white supremacists and counter-protesters.Mr Trump himself toed this line, in a free-wheeling press conference on Tuesday.“What about the alt-left that came charging at the, as you say, the alt-right? Do they have any semblance of guilt?” he asked. “What about the fact that they came charging with clubs in their hands, swinging clubs? Do they have any problem? I think they do.”Protesters on both the left and right have admitted to being armed at the rally, and to occasionally resorting to violence. Reporters on the ground described a heated back-and-forth between both groups.The man accused of hitting and killing a counter-protester with his car, however, is said to be a white nationalist and Nazi sympathiser. (Right-wing websites have claimed, with no evidence, that he is a “a supporter of Hillary Clinton and member of Antifa in receipt of funding by George Soros”.)According to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), right-wing extremists in the US have been responsible for significantly more deaths in the last 10 years than those on the far left.The organisation reports that domestic extremists killed at least 372 people in the US in the last decade. Approximately 74 per cent of those deaths were at the hands of right-wing extremists, compared to six per cent at the hands of left-wing extremists.But ADL’s Marilyn Mayo told Snopes that both sides could be incited to violence in today’s polarised political climate.“You have an escalation of rhetoric and you have people who are willing to fight it out in the streets,” she said. “With this political polarisation in the country right now, you have people who come dressed for battle, and when they confront each other it can lead to violence.”